Alright. I’m going to try to stop posting summer recipes and post some for fall instead 🍂. I said try, so don’t be shocked/disappointed when there is a beerita recipe up a little later this week. It’s going to happen. But in the meantime we can munch on these vegan applesauce muffins and pretend that the weather is nice and cool.
Because the truth is, its not cool down here in the great state of Texas. I mean, don’t get me wrong. It’s getting cooler, but that still puts the temps in the 90s, or at least the very high 80s. And I just can’t get into a fall mood until the weather drops down to the 70s…yaknow?
But if anything can get you feeling all the fall vibes its these vegan applesauce muffins. They are kind of like a cross between apple muffins and gingerbread and I love them for it 😍.
OK. When you see the recipe for the vegan applesauce muffins you will see that I put 1 TABLESPOON of cinnamon in my muffins. But don’t worry, you don’t have to that too. I’m just married to a guy who thinks cinnamon is EVERYTHING and wants as much of it in any kind of baked good as I can possibly put in. Like, I’m legit glad they didn’t have that cinnamon challenge around when he was in high school because he prolly would have tried it 😳.
Actually, he might still try it. But all that to say, you can totally knock that down to 1 teaspoon (or less) if you want and I will understand. We enjoyed it with the super cinnamon-y flavor and I was still able to taste all the other spices just fine, but it’s up to you. Either way your vegan applesauce muffins will still taste ah-mazing.
You can definitely store these vegan applesauce muffins in the freezer as well for a quick and easy grab-and-go breakfast. Just flash freeze your muffins for about 1 hour, and pop them into a freezer safe bag/container. When you are ready to eat a muffin, wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it directly from the freezer for about 30 seconds. Breakfast could not get any easier.
Although if your plan is to have freezer muffins you may want to double up on the recipe because otherwise you might not have enough to make it to the freezer. We hardly ever do unless I hide some away.
Other than that this recipe is pretty easy – and these vegan applesauce muffins are oil free 🥳 so that’s pretty neat. I mean, that basically cancels out the sugar and chocolate chips in them…right? Plus, there’s only 1/4 cup of sugar so…these are healthy-ish! And I am all about the healthy-ish lifestyle. Because who really wants to give up sugar completely?
Vegan Applesauce Muffins
- 1 1/2 c applesauce
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/4 c plain yogurt
- 1 banana mashed
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 T molasses
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 1/4 c oats
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1/2 t each cloves, ginger, and nutmeg
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 c chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease two muffin pans and set aside.
- In a mixer or in a large bowl using a handheld mixer, combine the applesauce, milk, yogurt, banana, vanilla, molasses, and brown sugar. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine together oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Pour into the applesauce mixture and mix just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop about 1/4 c of batter into each muffin cup. Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes or until done in the middle. Allow the muffins to cool slightly and enjoy!
- NOTE: Muffins can be flash-frozen and then placed in a freezer safe container for up to 6 months. To eat, remove a frozen muffin, wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
I’m definitely all about that sugar life!
🍦 🥧 🧁 🍰 🎂 🍮 🍭 🍬 🍫😋
If you make these vegan applesauce muffins…
Please share your results – leave a comment below and post a photo on Instagram with #braisedinakitch for a chance to be featured in my Instagram stories!