Summer Veggie Tacos with Garlic Sauce
It’s time for another meatless Monday recipe, and this is one of my favorites. Like my black bean taco recipe, I totally modified these tacos from a different taco joint here in the great state of Texas (seriously, we have taco joints on like every corner. It’s great). And while my black bean tacos make for a great weeknight dinner just about anytime of year, I have to say I think these veggie tacos are particularly suited to summer nights.
Did anyone else just have a serious Grease Summer Lovin’ flashback? Just me? That’s fine. But for reals these tacos combine some of my favorite summer veggies – zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and I even enjoy the carrots in here. Crazy, I know. I live for summer veggies. In the day and age where we can easily find just about any fruit or vegetable we want anytime of year at the huge grocery stores it’s easy to forget that produce naturally has a season to it. There is nothing in the world better than Texas summer tomatoes. In fact, I’m eating one right now as I type this with a little salt and pepper on top. Slice a fresh Texas tomato up and put it between two pieces of (Mrs. Baird’s!) white bread with a little mayo and salt and pepper and I swear they serve this sandwich in heaven.
That was just a little freebie recipe up there for ya – you’re welcome! I’m not saying you can never buy produce out of season, I’m just saying if you don’t occasionally get some good quality, home grown, locally farmed fruits and veggies it’s easy to forget that produce isn’t bland and a little tasteless. You can still eat these tacos in the dead of winter and I promise, I won’t judge. I may even come over for dinner.
A couple of notes for this recipe:
- These tacos actually come together fairly quickly and you can meal prep the heck out of them. First, you can (and should, if you remember and have time) make the garlic sauce ahead of time. Even a couple of days ahead of time is cool. Secondly, you can grate your zucchini the night before.
- For all my talk about fresh, local produce, I use pre-shredded carrots from the store for these tacos. I know, I know. But occasionally you gotta take some shortcuts…right? However, props to you if you want to shred the carrots yourself – I highly recommend a food processor with a shredder attachment, but a grater and some elbow grease would work just fine too.
- The taco joint that I modeled these tacos after serves them on a crunchy shell which is how I enjoy them too. The veggies are soft and tender and I love the texture contrast that the taco shell gives, but soft tortillas would absolutely work too.
- Feta or cheddar cheese are my go-to cheese toppings, but Monterrey jack or cojita are delicious too. Just about any cheese you have on hand would work.
- For the veggie portion, don’t worry too much if you don’t have all the veggies on hand. Out of zucchini? Sub in squash, or add extra carrots or corn. No onions? No problem, add in some onion powder (if you have it) or just leave it out altogether. This recipe is super forgiving which makes it perfect for using up veggies that are about to go bad.
- Frozen corn kernels work just fine in this recipe if you don’t have some ears of corn in your fridge. I promise not to tell.
Summer Veggie Tacos
Veggie Taco Filling
- 3 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 can black beans
- 1 c grated carrots
- 4 ears corn kernels cut off
- 2 t EVOO
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t oregano
- 2 t salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 c mayonnaise
- 1/2 c Greek yogurt
- 1/4 t white pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 8 crispy taco shells OR
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- lettuce optional
- tomatoes optional
- shredded cheddar, monterrey jack, feta, OR cojita cheese optional
- avocado optional
- Grate the zucchini and squeeze with a paper towel to remove excess water. Dice up the onion, mince the garlic cloves, and drain and rinse the black beans.
- Once the veggies are prepped heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion and garlic and sautee for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots, black beans, corn kernels and spices. Sautee for 8 to 10 more minutes or until veggies are tender. Set aside.
- While veggies are cooking whip up the garlic sauce: mince the garlic cloves and melt the butter. While butter is cooling slightly mix together the mayo, Greek yogurt, and spices. Add in melted butter and minced garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the taco shells or tortillas (taco shells heat best in the oven, tortillas can be heated in the microwave with a damp paper towel). Get your toppings together. Fill taco shells/tortillas with veggie mixture, top with garlic sauce and toppings of choice. Enjoy!
- NOTE: To make this gluten free use corn crispy shells or tortillas.
- NOTE: To make this vegan either omit the garlic sauce and cheese OR replace the butter, mayo, Greek yogurt, and cheese with appropriate vegan substitutes.
Summer lovin’ had me a blast…summer lovin’ happened so fast…
You had to see that coming, right?
If you make these summer veggie tacos…
Please share your results – leave a comment below and post a photo on Instagram with #braisedinakitch