Here in Texas I don’t enjoy the summer as much as I did when I was a kid. It’s just so danged hot! Another factor might also be that I have been SUPER pregnant for 2 of the past 3 summers, but who can know for sure (ha!). But, one thing that I absolutely love about summertime is the produce. Peaches, fresh tomatoes, corn, zucchini, squash, sweet onions…mmmmmm. I could go on and on. So it was only natural that I combine my deep love for summer veggies with another passion of mine: tacos. Hence, the summer veggie tacos were created.
And then, of course, we had to add a sauce. My toddler will eat just about anything as long as we put some kind of sauce on it. I actually love this about him because it makes getting him to eat his veggies soooo easy. And so these summer veggie tacos are toddler approved – he ate every last bite. That is a mom win and I celebrated with a margarita.
Just like my black bean tacos, these veggie tacos are loosely inspired by another taco favorite of mine at a local taco joint. The garlic cream sauce at the restaurant is not vegan (and neither is their cheese of course), but they are already delicious without those things so I knew these summer veggie tacos would be even better with a little bit of cheese and a creamy sauce.
And I was right! These were even a hit with our non-vegan family members over the meat tacos they brought to eat! When you can win over meat-lovers and get them to eat your meal instead of their own you know you have a delicious dish on your hands.
Summer Veggie Tacos
Veggie Taco Filling
- 3 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 can black beans
- 1 c grated carrots
- 4 ears corn kernels cut off
- 2 t EVOO
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t oregano
- 2 t salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 c mayonnaise
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 1/4 t white pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 8 crispy taco shells OR
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- lettuce optional
- tomatoes optional
- shredded vegan cheese optional
- avocado optional
- Grate the zucchini and squeeze with a paper towel to remove excess water. Dice up the onion, mince the garlic cloves, and drain and rinse the black beans.
- Once the veggies are prepped heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion and garlic and sautee for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots, black beans, corn kernels and spices. Sautee for 8 to 10 more minutes or until veggies are tender. Set aside.
- While veggies are cooking whip up the garlic sauce: mince the garlic cloves and melt the butter. While butter is cooling slightly mix together the mayo, plain yogurt, and spices. Add in melted butter and minced garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the taco shells or tortillas (taco shells heat best in the oven, tortillas can be heated in the microwave with a damp paper towel). Get your toppings together. Fill taco shells/tortillas with veggie mixture, top with garlic sauce and toppings of choice. Enjoy!
- NOTE: To make this gluten free use corn crispy shells or tortillas – we love crispy corn shells!
Summer lovin’ had me a blaaaaast…come on, you know the rest of the words!
If you make these summer veggie tacos…
Please share your results – leave a comment below and post a photo on Instagram with #braisedinakitch for a chance to be featured in my Instagram stories!