Alright. We’ve figured out how to make the very best, flakiest pie crust. We’ve updated the classic pecan pie with a chocolaty, bourbon twist that is mouthwateringly good. Now, it’s time to tackle the best pie. The greatest pie. We are going to make perfect pumpkin pie.
And we have a secret ingredient. Stick with me. I know that we have done some kind of crazy stuff with pumpkin lately, but the secret ingredient to perfect pumpkin pie is…curry.
OK. Are we still friends?
I promise that the quarantine has not made me lose my mind 🤪 I actually add curry to my gingerbread too. Just a tiny bit. But that little bit really brings out the other warm spices.
Oh yeah. Cream is also essential to a perfect pumpkin pie. I mean, pumpkin is a vegetable…sooooo…it needs a little extra fat to make it pie-worthy. Right?
And then, of course, you have to top your pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Lane prefers sweetened whip cream but I like unsweetened. You get more of the cream taste and for me the pie is already sweet enough. So now, my question for you is – sweet or unsweet whipped cream? Canned or freshly whipped?
Big surprise, I prefer freshly whipped cream.
I really don’t have any recipe notes for you. The trickiest part of making a pumpkin pie is the crust and we already got that squared away. Just stir everything together and sit back and enjoy your delicious pie. And try not to look too smug when everyone tells you its the best, most perfect pumpkin pie they have ever had.
And maybe only reveal your secret ingredient to really close friends and non-judgy family members?
Perfect Pumpkin Pie
- 1/2 recipe for pie crust see link below
- 1 can pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t cloves
- 1/8 t curry powder
- 3/4 c heavy cream
- whipped topping canned, freshly whipped cream, etc.
- Prepare the pie crust per instructions in recipe.
- Right before you are ready to roll out the pie crust (after it has chilled for 1 hour), in a large mixing bowl mix together canned pumpkin and the next 11 ingredients.
- Roll out dough per instructions in recipe and fit in to pie plate. Pour pie filling in. Cover with plastic wrap, taking care to not let the plastic wrap touch the top of the pie filling. Return to fridge for 1 hour.
- Towards the end of the hour, preheat the oven to 375. Once the oven has preheated, remove the plastic wrap and put the pie directly from the fridge in to the oven. Bake for 1 hour or until pie is done.**Check the crust after about 20 to 30 minutes to ensure that it is not browning too quickly. You may need to cover the crust to prevent burning.
- Allow pie to cool completely. Top with whipped topping of choice (if desired) and enjoy!
Best. Part. Of. Thanksgiving. 🧡
Share below: Do you add any unconventional spices to some favorite dishes that other people might not think of?
If you make this perfect pumpkin pie…
Please share your results – leave a comment below and post a photo on Instagram with #braisedinakitch for a chance to be featured in my Instagram stories!