Gluten free vegan lactation cookies may just be a lifesaver! Our precious little girl, Lydia, is 6 weeks old and she has been such a joy. One of my prayers while I was pregnant with Lydia was, “please, God, just let nursing be easier with her, please, please…“. And nursing with her has been a breeze! You see, when Richard, our now two year old, was born we went through one of the hardest things I have ever experienced.
He had so much trouble nursing that my milk supply took a huge dip at first. Each time he needed to eat I attempted to nurse him, then gave him a bottle of pumped milk, and then pumped so that I could have more milk ready for the next feeding session. By the time I was done with the whole ordeal it was usually time for him to eat again. I was frazzled, exhausted, and desperate to get my milk supply back up.
Then Lane proved once again why he is the world’s best husband (and dad!) and he went into the kitchen and whipped up some lactation cookies for me. They really helped get my milk supply up and they were delicious. With Lydia, I have not really had a supply issue but she was super sensitive to any dairy in my system. So I knew I needed to make some gluten free vegan lactation cookies for all my fellow nursing mamas out there who need allergen free help boosting their supply!
These gluten free vegan lactation cookies are full of protein, oats (the milk booster), chia seeds, flax seeds, and a little chocolate because…you know…chocolate is everything. The protein comes from the almond flour and peanut or almond butter. And you get a little extra fat from the vegan butter and coconut oil to help you get that supply boosted too.
In addition to enjoying these gluten free vegan lactation cookies, make sure you are drinking lots of water. Like all the water. And rocking your supplements like the bad A mama that you are. Taking care of a baby is no joke. Just know mama that whether you EBF, pump, use formula, have donor milk, or do some amazing combination of any of the above – you are doing what is best for you and your baby and you are the best mama your baby could have.
On a less sappy note, these cookies are also hubby and toddler approved. So…if you make yourself some gluten free vegan lactation cookies you may need to hide them so that you actually get a couple!
Gluten Free Vegan Lactation Cookies
- 3 c gluten free oats
- 2 c almond flour
- 1/4 c flaxseeds
- 1/4 c chia seeds
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 c vegan butter
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1/4 c almond or peanut butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 2 bananas mashed
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 c vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, almond flour, flaxseeds, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, or using a handheld mixer, beat together the butter, coconut oil, and almond/peanut butter. Add sugar and beat until combined. Add bananas and vanilla, beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat just until mixed together. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out with a cookie scoop or tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Try to let them cool before enjoying!
Happy nursing mama!
If you make these gluten free vegan lactation cookies…
Please share your results – leave a comment below and post a photo on Instagram with #braisedinakitch for a chance to be featured in my Instagram stories!