One of the most challenging meals for vegans is breakfast. I mean, if you think about it, there are only so many pancakes you can eat, right? …Right?! And a lot of breakfast meals are centered around eggs and bacon. Some breakfast dishes are easy to recreate with scrambled tofu instead of scrambled eggs – but others aren’t. Enter in this delicious coconut cacao quinoa!
I love that you get a hefty dose of protein with the quinoa and the combo of coconut and cacao is perfect. Plus, cacao powder has some amazing health benefits: improved heart health and cognitive functioning, fiber, protein, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants 💪. Best of all, it tastes like chocolate 🥳. And that is what makes this coconut cacao quinoa so amazing – you get a delicious, protein-filled, chocolate-y treat to start your day.
I love topping our coconut cacao quinoa with some chia seeds just to add in a little extra omega 3s/6s, but you can top yours with whatever you would like. And if you’re watching calories you can definitely use light coconut milk or water – your quinoa won’t be quite as creamy but it will still be delish.
Some recipe notes:
- Like stated above, use light coconut milk or water to cut calories
- This can be made ahead of time and reheated in the morning for a quick breakfast (or leftovers for breakfast the next day)
- I love bananas and flaked coconut as a topping, but strawberries, raspberries, or just plain would all be delicious too!
Coconut Cacao Quinoa
- 1 c uncooked quinoa I used tricolor quinoa
- 2 c coconut milk I used full-fat
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/3 c cacao powder
- 1 banana sliced, optional
- 1/4 c flaked coconut optional
- 1/4 c chia seeds optional
- Thorougly rinse your quinoa, place in a medium saucepan with coconut milk. Place on cooktop over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to bring quinoa to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. There may still be a little liquid left in the pan – that's OK.
- Stir in maple syrup, cacao powder, and a dash of salt, if desired. The cacao powder should soak up the extra coconut milk.
- Dish into bowls and top with coconut flakes, banana slices, and chia seeds (if desired – not necessary, this quinoa is delicious on its own!). Enjoy!
There is nothing better than starting your day with a chocolatey treat!
If you make this coconut cacao quinoa…
Please share your results – leave a comment below and post a photo on Instagram with #braisedinakitch for a chance to be featured in my Instagram stories!