Brussels Sprouts Slaw
I know some people have a love-hate frenemy relationship with veggies, but I actually really like them. A lot. With the exception of carrots and turnip greens. Needless to say, you aren’t going to find a lot of carrot recipes on this blog. But if you’re really jonesing for a carrot dish you have the whole World Wide Web at your disposal :). Instead, you will find amazing and delicious recipes here, like this Brussels sprouts slaw.
Growing up in my house, being a picky eater wasn’t really an option. We were required to take as many bites of every dish we were served that correlated with our age (if you were 8, you had to take 8 bites etc.). It might sound kind of mean, but I am actually really grateful my parents did this (you know, in hindsight). Some things I still don’t like (such as salmon patties, the bane of my existence). But I eventually developed a taste and liking for most dishes and foods.
Honestly, I probably wouldn’t like guacamole today if my parents hadn’t encouraged me to try foods. And now as an adult one of my biggest pet peeves is picky eaters (sorry if you are one!). Fortunately for us, so far, Richard does not seem like a super picky eater. He even likes salad!
And he was crazy about this Brussels sprouts slaw. Truthfully, he likes anything that has some kind of sauce with it, on it, or next to it. And the dressing on this slaw was yummy and easy.
With the aid of my food processor, shredding the Brussels sprouts was easy. And after that it was just a matter of mixing everything else together. Quick. Easy. And the Brussels sprouts slaw can be made ahead of time. It actually tastes a little better if you let the flavors come together a bit.
To top it all off, bacon. I mean, how does life get any better than this? You’re getting your veggies in and you’re eating bacon. This is what a life of good decisions looks like.
Some notes for this Brussels sprouts slaw:
- You can sub in pecans for the walnuts, but I really prefer the flavor of the walnuts with the veggies and the bacon (but its totally up to you!).
- You can also sub in sour cream for the Greek yogurt.
- Make it vegan by subbing in vegan mayo, yogurt/sour cream, and sugar.
Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Food Processor with Shredder Attachment
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 zucchini
- 1 c chopped walnuts toasted
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 c sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c craisins or raisins
- 1/4 c mayo
- 1/2 c Greek yogurt
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 t sugar
- salt to taste
- In the food processor with the shredder attachment, shred the Brussels sprouts and zucchinis.ALTERNATIVELY: if you don't have a food processor, finely slice Brussels sprouts. Using a grater, grate the zucchini.
- Place Brussels sprouts and zucchini in a large bowl. Add walnuts, bacon, sunflower seeds, and craisins. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the mayo, Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt to taste. Whisk until smooth. Pour over the Brussels sprouts mixture and toss to coat. Enjoy right away or store in your fridge for up to 3 days!
Crunchy, sweet, salty, delicious!
If you make this Brussels sprouts slaw…
Please share your results – leave a comment below and post a photo on Instagram with #braisedinakitch