Behind the Scenes: 20 Questions
Happy Wednesday! Since we’re all new around here because its a new blog, I thought I would use this Wednesday post to introduce myself a little with 20 questions. Of course, you can read a quick blurb about my family and me and the blog on my About page. But today I thought I would go a little deeper.
Getting to Know You in 20 Questions:
1. When is your birthday? My birthday is August 27. Our son, Richard, was also born in August and my hubby, Lane, has his birthday September 5th. With our little girl due mid-July we have a busy, back-to-back birthday season!
2. What is your favorite animal? If we’re talking about pets, then my favorite animal is a cat. You don’t have to walk them and they are fairly independent. If we’re talking about all animals in general then my favorite animal is a white tiger. But I love just about all animals, minus spiders, snakes, sharks, and scorpions.
3. What do you do for a living? Right now I run Braised in a Kitchen and take care of my super active toddler all day! Before this I have worked as a paralegal, a claims rep at State Farm (where I met Lane), a 5th grade teacher, a case manager for foster families, in a library, as a nanny, and at the GAP as a sales associate.
4. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Austria.
5. What was your favorite subject in school? History or English. I ended up majoring in English in college with a minor in education.
6. Do you have a big or small family? A fairly small family – we have always had a small family. Growing up for holiday it was usually just the four of us (my parents, my sister, and me). Now we have our little family of 3 (soon to be 4) and my sister and her fiancé (soon to be hubby, this Saturday!) and my mom plus all the in-laws. I guess we are slowly growing into a larger family, but I think our personal family will be a family of 4.
7. What genres of music do you like best? Country, the 80s, indie, and pop music from the 90s and early 2000s. Tbh, I really don’t get the pop music today – I guess I’m too old. Lane is not on board, but Richard and I like jam out to some Billy Joel!
8. How do you like to spend your free time? Hahaha, right now I don’t have too much free time and when I do I usually go for the preggo nap! Before I spent most of my days chasing after a tiny, adorable, munchkin I enjoyed cooking/baking, crafting (although I am not very good at it), reading, playing the piano, camping, getting outdoors, and hanging out with my hubby and friends.
9. Are you a morning or a night person? Definitely morning – I always have been! When I was younger and would go to friends’ houses to spend the night I would always bring a book with me because I would usually wake-up an hour or two before their parents. Growing up my dad and I would wake up early on the weekends and he would make us a big breakfast and we would get to spend some time together just the two of us talking. He always made eggs, bacon, and either cinnamon toast or cinnamon rolls with extra butter slathered on them.
10. What is your favorite food? I don’t think I can narrow it down to any one food – I love just about all foods so much – but I do have a big sweet tooth.
11. What is your favorite movie or TV show? Favorite movie is probably Sense and Sensibility, favorite TV show is The Office.
12. What is your favorite childhood memory? Ah, I have so many! I did love playing in the pool with my family, and going to the beach.
13. Who was your first celebrity crush? Oh no, this is so gonna age me, but I mean, when I was in middle school the guys from Hanson were the hottest.
14. Do you speak more than one language? No. I took Spanish in middle school, Latin in high school, and German in college. I can basically say “hello” in all of them and that’s about it.
15. What is your biggest pet peeve? Picky eaters.
16. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas!
17. Where did you grow up? I grew up in the same city I live now, in Texas!
18. What skill would you like to learn? I want to learn how to sew but just don’t have the time right now.
19. What do you value most in a friend? Kindness and empathy.
20. What is your biggest fear? Ah! I have so many – heights, snakes, spiders, small enclosed spaces, drowning, suffocating, losing a loved one too young…I am naturally a very anxious person.